I’m really, really excited about Encore right now.
What started out as
“Wouldn’t it be cool if every musician in the world had a profile in one place?”
has now become
“Tell us which musicians you want and when, we’ll have them booked in minutes.”
Don’t get me wrong. I’m still desperately eager to build a global musicians’ network, but the bookings technology we’ve developed is achieving minor miracles.
Let me give you three examples:
1. Contrabassoonist needed for Symphony Orchestra Concert
If the bassoon is an endangered species, then the contra is something of a musical unicorn.
Request received: Fri Mar 04, 00:42:02
Available, nearby contrabassoonist found: Fri Mar 04, 00:51:28
Time taken: 9 minutes 26 seconds (at nearly 1 in the morning!)
2. Brass Band needed for Boat Race this weekend
Request received: Mon Mar 14, 17:34:20
Available, nearby band found: Mon Mar 14, 17:39:29
Time taken: 5 minutes 9 seconds
3. Oboist needed TONIGHT for Verdi Requiem
This is my personal favourite. I have no idea why an oboist was suddenly needed 55 minutes before the concert started, but I know it must have been a ludicrously stressful situation.
Thankfully, we found an available, fantastic oboist in under five minutes, and they were en route within ten.
Request received: Sat Mar 12, 18:35:00
Available, nearby oboist found: Sat Mar 12, 18:39:51
Time taken: 4 minutes 51 seconds
When people think of ‘on-demand’ services, they think of taxis and food delivery.
We’re building a future where musicians are available at the tap of a button. The above examples are very extreme, but they illustrate just how effectively Encore is working.
If you asked someone to book musicians for an event next weekend, they’d probably go through the following steps:
- Google search for “String Quartet London”
- Browse and compare the first 5–10 results
- Email a handful of quartets
- Receive a reply stating that one of the quartets is unavailable
- Wait some more
- Receive a reply from an available group
- Negotiate price
- Confirm booking
That process is long-winded and old-fashioned, and it’s not unusual for it to be dragged out over several days.
With Encore, the process is simple:
1. Head to joinencore.com/jobs/add and tell us you need a String Quartet in London next weekend
2. We send the event details to all of our string players within reasonable travelling distance of your event
3. The groups that are definitely available get back to you quoting a price
4. You book your favourite group
That whole process can be completed in about fifteen minutes.
So, yeah… I’m really, really excited about Encore right now.